Turkmenistan was admitted as a full-fledged member of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) at the 103rd session of this organization in Geneva, the press service of the Turkmen Foreign Ministry said.
Turkmenistan officially handed a written request on the country’s intention to join the organization to IOM Director General William Lacy Swing in the course of work of the high-level segment of the main session of the Social and Economic Council (ECOSOC) in July 2013. Turkmenistan had observer status at the IOM since 1997.
Noteworthy, by the initiative of President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdymuhamedov, in Ashgabat a regular Summit of the project member-countries was held on December 11, 2010. The Summit resulted in signing of the Framework Agreement on gas pipeline and the Intergovernmental Agreement on the TAPI project implementation were signed.
President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov signed a decree appointing Permanent Representative of Turkmenistan to the United Nations (New York City, USA) Aksoltan Atayeva as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Turkmenistan to the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela concurrently.
Turkmenistan and Venezuela established diplomatic relations on 30 April 1996. In June 2012, Venezuela has opened the Consular and Trade Office in Turkmenistan. September 6-7, 2009, the President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez visited Turkmenistan on his first official visit.
The seventh meeting of senior officials of the "Central Asia plus Japan " Dialogue participating countries took place in Bishkek on October 22, 2013. Meeting was attended by the delegation of Turkmenistan.
The parties had a constructive discussion on regional cooperation, sustainable development, foreign trade and investment, as well as security in Central Asia and Afghanistan.
During the meeting, it was unanimously decided, that Turkmenistan will take the duty of "Central Asia plus Japan"Dialogue Chairmanship in 2015 for two years period.
On October 9, 2013 meeting with the delegation of the UN-Women entity headed by Damira Sartbayeva, the head of the Office for Central Asia took place at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.
During the meeting parties discussed the further cooperation between Turkmenistan and UN-Women Entity. Main attention had been paid to the questions of elaboration of the UN-Women Strategy in Central Asia for the period of 2014-2015, as well as the promotion of the gender equality in Turkmenistan.
Turkmenistan will send humanitarian aid to the population living in the border areas of Afghanistan. As the Turkmenistan.ru correspondent reports from Ashgabat, President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov signed a decree to this effect at a regular government meeting.
As part of this action, Turkmenistan will donate sportswear, agricultural products, confectionery and school furniture to the neighboring country.
According to the presidential decree, the Ministry of Textile Industry, the Ministry of Trade and Foreign Economic Relations, the State Food Industry Association and the Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs of Turkmenistan will be in charge of this action.
© TURKMENISTAN.RU, 2013
On November 13th, 2013 in Paris at the 37th session of the main conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Turkmenistan was elected to the membership of Organization's Executive Council for 2013-2017.
Turkmenistan participated in the 4th group and the candidates from 7 countries namely Bangladesh, India, China, Nepal, Turkmenistan, Japan, and Vanuatu offered their candidacies for 6 places. Out of 185 countries with the right to participate in the elections - 134 countries voted in favor of candidacy of Turkmenistan. Bangladesh, India, China, Nepal and Japan were elected as the members of Executive council of UNESCO together with Turkmenistan.
© The Permanent Mission of Turkmenistan to the United Nations
© The Permanent Mission of Turkmenistan to the United Nations
Chairing an enlarged government meeting, President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov signed a decree granting citizenship of Turkmenistan to persons who permanently reside in the territory of the country without citizenship, “given the right of people to freely choose citizenship.” 609 people will be granted Turkmen citizenship.
By the presidential decree, Gurbanammet Eliasov has been appointed Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Turkmenistan to Japan (Tokyo city). By another decree of the President of Turkmenistan, Gurbanmamet Eliasov has been conferred the diplomatic rank of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.
Ashgabat hosted the first meeting of the Interministerial working group to develop National strategy and action plan on biodiversity. This project is supported by the Ministry of Environmental Protection, United Nations Development Programme in Turkmenistan (UNDP) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
Implementation of the project started in July this year and will continue until December 2015. Working group includes representatives of the Ministries of nature, oil, gas industry and mineral resources, agriculture, water management, economics and development, finance, the State Committee for Tourism and the Institute of Strategic Planning and Economic Development of Turkmenistan.
The main objectives of the project is to developand implementa comprehensive program to meet the requirements of the Convention on Biodiversity, ratified by Turkmenistan in 1996.
- Statement by the Head of the Turkmenistan Delegation at the 68th session of the UN General Assembly (New York, 30 September 2013)
- High-Level Side Event “Connectivity and mobility – driving forces of Post 2015 Development Agenda”
- President of Turkmenistan completes official visit to Japan
- Turkmen President receives UNECE Executive Secretary
- Ashgabat hosts WHO inter-regional meeting on malaria control
- Priority Positions of Turkmenistan at the 68th session of the UN General Assembly (September 2013)
- Turkmenistan to open embassy in Seoul and consulate in Aktau
- Delegation of OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights discusses cooperation issues in Ashgabat
- Turkmenistan and European Union discuss prospects of establishing unified educational space
- New large-scale nature conservation project is designed to preserve the unique ecological system and natural resources of the Kara Kum desert, one of the largest deserts in the world
- Turkmenistan's real GDP growth exceeded 9 percent in first half of 2013
- President of Turkmenistan appointed Embassadors to Croatia, Spain and Malaysia
- Head of Regional Office of the International Committee of the Red Cross holds meeting at the Foreign Ministry of Turkmenistan
- Statement by the delegation of Turkmenistan at the meeting of developing landlocked countries (ECOSOC substantive session, Geneva, 3 July 2013)
- Statement by the Deputy Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan H.E. Mr. Rashid Meredov at the High-level Segment of the Economic and Social Council (Geneva, 1 July 2013)
- The delegation of Turkmenistan took part in the annual high-level meeting of the ECOSOC Substantive Session
- UNDP representative holds talks at the Foreign Ministry of Turkmenistan
- Turkmenistan elected vice president of 68th Session of UN General Assembly
- FAO: Turkmenistan is one of the few countries that met both main Millennium Development Goal and World Food Summit goal
- UNESCO experts study natural monuments of Turkmenistan